2020 In Review for Dennis, Part 2

Part 2 of my 2020 recap that nobody asked for.

2020 In Review for Dennis, Part 2

The second part of my 2020 was mostly spent in Fargo. It was a very strange time for me personally. I didn't have a job, yet I was making more money every week than I would've had if I'd kept my job. I really felt blessed to be in the position that I was.

I didn't feel as blessed when I had a few drinks with my high school buddy in May, and then ended up in the ICU for about three whole days. Diabetes and alcohol don't mix very well, folks. And don't go to the hospital while you're in the middle of switching health insurance, because then you probably won't have any coverage and up with a hospital bill of nearly $30,000. (Suck my dick, Altru. Just let me die next time, it's probably easier than paying off this debt.)

After getting out of the hospital on May 27th, I went back to Fargo, and a few days later there was a protest march for George Floyd. Against my better judgement, I decided to go. I was still weak, but said fuck it and went. That was the first time I'd attended anything like it, and I'm glad I went. There was another march the following week as well, which I also attended. At one of the marches my shirt with "Unpaid Agitator" written on the back got the attention of one of the reporters for the Fargo Forum, the local paper of note. It was a good experience.

At one point I emailed the mayor's office and told him he was a coward for declaring a state of emergency after a few hours of peaceful protesting and he actually called me directly and we had a short conversation. It didn't really productive, most of the time he was talking over me and it felt like he was trying to flex or bully on me somehow, but I came away from it feeling like he was a little bit less of a clown (he's not).

I actually made it into the newspaper. My quote wasn't anything special, but it was still cool. At no point did I feel like I was making any of this about me.

my quote from the paper

So I was busy with some of the protesting that was happening, and I was also keeping busy with other activities, hanging out with a few friends, going on a few dates. It was overall a pretty positive summer. I also took 6 credits worth of classes this summer and completed those no problem. Even with the gigantic hospital bill now staring me in the face for probably the rest of my life, things were looking good.

In July, I was able to go and stay with my mom in Boulder, CO for about two weeks. That was a fantastic time. She was working from home the entire time and I had nothing going on other than some online work for my classes. She also had an extra vehicle there, so I spent each day doing whatever I wanted for the most part. Played a lot of Magic: the Gathering on my computer while smoking weed out of my mother's apartment balcony. It was a beautiful time and I took an obnoxious amount of pictures. I'll have to do a separate post for those ones, I think. There's just so many of them.

Shortly after I got back from Colorado, I connected with Sarah. She lives in Washington, but I was in a unique position to be able to go and see her without having to worry about too many things, like work, or money.  Towards the end of August, after we'd been talking for a few weeks, I bought a plane ticket to go and see her, which was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I think that everything post-Sarah is a natural place to end this one, and so part 3 can be the last.